Walking is a great way to get around and the best thing is that it is free! It’s also an easy way to get fitness into your daily routine. Many local facilities are within a walking distance of Hunter’s Chase, such as; the primary school, convenience stores, doctors surgery, dentist and public houses. You will find all of these within a 10-minute walk of Hunter’s Chase.
Health experts advise 150 minutes of exercise per week or 30 minutes per day over 5 days during the week. Why not include this exercise in your daily routine when travelling to work, school or the shops? There are many benefits to walking:
• Can help maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity;
• Can lower the risk of chronic diseases and high blood pressure;
• Improvements to your mood and wellbeing; and also
• Studies show that it can also encourage and improve creativity.
Cycling is an excellent way to get about and is a great alternative to walking as it makes more places accessible. Cycling is around three times faster than walking and in some cases, it’s quicker than driving too! Cycling has a huge number of other benefits including;
• Improving wellbeing by relieving stress;
• Helps prevent chronic and life-threatening illnesses;
• Being more cost effective than running a car – Did you know that maintaining a bike for a year costs twenty times less than maintaining and driving a car; and
• Reducing congestion and pollution on our roads.
There are many quiet residential roads and streets with little traffic that can be used to cycle around Red Lodge. Also, the close proximity of Kennett train station at just a 15-minute cycle ride from Hunter’s Chase allows for easy and more economical ‘cycle & train’ commutes. To plan cycle routes from Hunter’s Chase, visit Cyclestreets.net.
Alternatively, electric bikes are a very practical option to consider for longer commutes. More environmentally friendly and economical than driving, they can also work out cheaper than annual bus passes. With Mildenhall only 15 minutes cycle away and 30 minutes to Newmarket, switching some of your commutes to e-pedal power could be the best way to avoid the morning traffic while adding exercise to your daily routine.
Is your employer part of the Cyclescheme? This allows you to save 25-39% of the cost of a new bike & accessories whilst also spreading the cost. Find out more information on how this works and how to sign up on the Cyclescheme website.